Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Monday, November 9, 2009

At this moment I am sitting on the balcony of a rustic old house a 10 minute walk from the warm Atlantic Ocean. The breeze is blowing through the banana trees and all day drums have been beating in the distance, no joke! On the way to the beach today some friends and I stopped and joined a drum circle dancing African dance and enjoying the 6 or so talented musicians.

I love my life! So I made it to Africa and every day has been like a dream. The food is great, people friendly, languages bizarre! There are 35 of us volunteers in country and for the past week we have been exploring Africa and going to classes learning language, culture, safety and may other things. The other volunteers are amazing and I feel like I am already making great friends! Friday we are breaking up into groups of 3 or 4 and going up country to our training villages where we will have a naming ceremony in our honor by the village and dance to more drums all night! Then we are there with a trainer for 9 VERY intense weeks of training where we are required to learn the local language and technical skills. (I’m still not sure what my job would be) I had an interview with staff today and it went well; they encouraged me to start a girls’ soccer team in my village because girls and women don’t really have opportunities to play sports...I’m so excited!!! I’ve already seen huge nasty spiders, the most AMAZING birds, and had a snake around my neck! I’ve been meeting a lot of current volunteers, and they are amazing and make me so excited for this experience. The Peace Corps crew is really tight here so it’s like a little family; it’s great.

Salamaleekum, (may peace be upon you)

3 comments:

  1. Jo that is so exciting and I am so happy for you. I love that peace be upon you saying (a possible future tattoo for you?) Just kidding. i can picture the banana trees blowing in the wind and I have to say I'm a little jealous. But I'm sure that I will come visit you sometime soon and get to experience the whole thing first-hand. Let us know as soon as you find out what your job will be. Miss you xoxo

    P.S. Happy Thanksgiving - I know it's always weird to be away from home when it's a holiday that they don't celebrate, but we are thinking about you and being thankful to have you as a friend :) Pace, Paz, Pax.

    ~Soph

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jo!! so glad that you started a blog so that i can keep up with your adventures! thinking of you and hoping you are having the most fabulous time. So proud of you!!

    love, kelly mclaughlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamu alaikum Joanna my dear friend!
    I am enjoying reading your blog. I am very happy to hear about the positive impact you are making! It sounds like so much fun and I can't wait to read the rest of your blogs!

    <3
    A.M.

    ReplyDelete